Friday, October 21, 2011

Cotton Pickin' Cotton

Here is #85 on the Master list. I have had the opportunity to do this one, but a dare devil I am not. So today I stopped and asked the people harvesting the cotton on the other side of the road if I could have some of the remains of the harvest. When we first moved to Madison, the cotton was still green. Only in the last month has is turned fields to snow white landscapes. It is Beautiful. So as I am out pickin' cotton, all I can think of is my grandparents telling stories of pickin' cotton. Aching backs, because that stuff is only knee high. Scratches all over because while the cotton is as soft as, well cotton, the cotton plant are tough bushes and the pods are very sharp. I am now thankful for giant harvesters (Frank on Cars) and machines that do the job for the cotton farmers. It is a beautiful thing and I am so glad to have experienced pickin' cotton.

No comments:

Post a Comment